Friday, November 27, 2015

Webcomic Review #5 - (Re)Introduction

Hey, everybody.

Long time no see, huh?

I'll get into a more proper "What the hell have I been doing in the past year" type post at 
some point in the near future, as well as the inevitable "music I've been listening to" and 
"movies I'm looking forward to" posts. For now, I wanted to take the time to resurrect a 
previously periodic installment on this blog: the Webcomic Review.

To be honest, I had a major falling-out with webcomics as a medium of entertainment in the last few years. 

I stopped writing about them here, quite a few of my favorites came to sudden conclusions, and I was starting to 
unsubscribe from various RSS feeds one by one. Little over a month ago, the number of comics that I followed had 
dwindled down to a mere dozen or so. I had come to an impasse; do I give up on webcomics entirely,
a branch of literature I had adored since I started using the Internet regularly more than a decade ago? 
Or do I actually make an effort to care about them again?

It wasn't easy. I had no idea where to start. Thankfully, I had the free time that could allow me the proper amount of research into which comics had decently-sized followings, which ones were still updating, and which ones most closely resembled the sort of fare I was already accustomed to. I probably skimmed and previewed hundreds of comics across varying genres and formats, until I had a shortlist of works whose archives I would binge. Now, I have a whole new set of comics added to those that I already follow, which I will deliberate about here. 

Thanks for sticking with me so far, those of you who stumbled in here unintentionally.
And without further ado, I'll begin...

Cherenkov Blues



 First order of business: shameless promotion of my friends' comic.

Cherenkov Blues is a weird sorta' adventure/drama that features mutated humanoids residing in the
blown-out radioactive wasteland that is - I mean, once was Nashville, Tennessee.
A handful of these creatures endeavor to start a band, one of whom is a mouthless cyclops who seems to
always have the worst of luck. It's too early to tell where the story may be heading at this point, 
but it absolutely has my seal of approval on both the writing and the artwork. 

Check it out (and kindly add it to your feed or bookmarks) today!


For the following section, I'll be listing comics that I have started reading *again*,
after I previously stopped keeping track of their updates, usually due a lack of said updates.

Sakana




Best character.

Sakana takes place in a Japanese fish market, and follows the antics and misfortunes of a particular shop's employees.
Illustrated by fellow SCAD-grad Madeline Rupert, who I met briefly at a convention,
but she drew me a cheap anime sketch so she is both cool and legit.

Updates weekly-ish, but has been known to take extended holidays.

The Fancy Adventures Of Jack Cannon





I once read Jack Cannon religiously in the peak of my webcomic consumption, to stave off my
hunger for more Fanboys, and as a less convoluted alternative to the popular Paranatural.  
It fell to the wayside as major story arcs wrapped up and updates slowed to a crawl, 
but my nostalgia has led me to give it another chance.

With that said, it has updated only once in the last three months, and the latest chapter 
has been without color in order to save time on production. Oh well.

Fishbones





 What I once had left for dead years ago once it went on indefinite hiatus, had turned out to be resurrected some time ago and picked back up where it left off. Fishbones is the story of two high-school students, one the son of a mafia don and the other his hapless companion, as they deal with being social pariahs among their peers and the intricate web of crime and deceit that follows their privileged yet subversive lifestyle.

Updates resumed a few months ago, albeit very gradually.

Wilde Life



Wilde Life begins when a man named Oscar (hence the clever title) foolishly buys a house in the middle of nowhere,
Oklahoma, only to discover that the former tenant hasn't vacated the residence long after her demise, hence the cheap offer.
Eventually he encounters teenage werewolves, giant spirit bears, and vengeful child poltergeists.

Not an outright hilarious webcomic, but it does provide a decent chuckle every now and then.

Updates three times a week!

The Lonely Vincent Bellingham




The namesake of The Lonely Vincent Bellingham decides to visit the abode of his professor's old friend, presumed
to be old herself if not dead already. What he discovers is that not only is she still looking good for a centenarian,
but that her entire small family exhibits traits of the strange and paranormal.

Updates every two weeks or so. It's hard to tell.

Glam Rock Gorilla 



 I've already written up the best possible summary I could come up with for this entry in a previous post, but to be perfectly
honest, I couldn't accurately describe Glam Rock Gorilla even if I wanted to. All I know is that it looks good, and its fun
to read. Alas, updates seem to have taken a backseat to one of the artist's other pet project, Kill Six Billion Demons.
I keep tabs on it just in case it gets its time in the spotlight again, but that seems unlikely at this point.



BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

WEBCOMIC REVIEW #6

No comments:

Post a Comment